Post new topic   Reply to topic    Echoes of Lordaeron Forum Index -> Open Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Mucklehugs
EoL-Veteran
Likes forums

re: Wintrading and other game exploits

With regards to some recent events in the guild it is worth reiterating a line from our guild rules:

Don't exploit the game. Whether in battle grounds or the world environment. If you can't win without cheating, don't play.

Wintrading is abusing the game in a way Blizzard did not intend - hence cheating. We will not have EoL members getting involved in it. And no, we don't care whether some builds aren't viable in the arena. If that's the way Blizz made it, deliberately or not, that's the way it is.

And before I get flames for slightly editing the rules today... YES the rule used to be tucked in down under "World PvP" and was slightly differently worded: "Don't exploit game bugs. It's cowardly and lame to abuse bugs in battle grounds or the world environment. If you can't win without cheating, don't play." - The spirit of the rule or its application has not changed though.

Muckle

Last edited by Mucklehugs on 2008/03/24 3:02; edited 1 time in total
Cahe
EoL-Veteran
Chatterbox

Fully agreed on this point, for example we had a hunter before, who openly encouraged all other hunters in the hunter channel to exploit a bug on one of our earlier kael'thas atempts, his defence the next day being "But now they've fixed it, so it doesn't matter".
It is still cheating, and said hunter is no longer in our guild, for very clear reasons.

Forum Pet

I still remember a Kara run at nightbane where we all desperately tried to get on top of the dome (which we did eventually).

Too bad it didn't help us kill the actuall boss Happy

Hehe Sullin. I knew someone would say something like that. Also is the sweet spot at Prince Malchezzar an exploit? It's a grey area.

We've downed both Nightbane and Malchezzar without using these tricks. If we found an exploit on Archimonde preventing the raid from taking any damage, would we use it and claim we downed him?

I'd say no.

Cheating on a boss is mostly cheating with yourself - a bit like cheating in solitaire. Cheating in PvP affects others that want to play the game straight. Still it's shades of grey.

Muckle
Samoraz
EoL-Veteran
Forum Pet

yeah but the difference on prince his spot is that you actually just have a good spot to stand, there isn't really much exploiting about it, maybe it's even one of the ways blizzard made it to be.

nightbane exploit is funny but it doesn't help at all.

wintrading is just abusing the arena mechanics wich already allow you to be boosted easily and such. I'm not against boosting or whatever since you actually do some stuff yourself but never end up with the high rewards without doing full effort (Drake, shoulders, weapon probly neither) with wintrading you just abuse the system and ruin the balance in it by being able to get unnaturally high without doing much effort.

you all know my opinion, i won't be in the same guild with wintraders, so i'm very happy with this post

Initiate chatterbox

Just wondering..where do we stand with so called "wall-climbing".

Can't say it falls under the cheating category but it's definitely not something that Blizzard intended.

I admit its something I like to do every now and then. Haven't had much time lately between work and raiding, but I could spend 4 hours jumping a small slope and have fun doing it.

Sometimes, just to enjoy the view...

Forum Image

...explore areas yet to be revealed...

Forum ImageForum Image
[Behind Greymane wall / The (uninstanced) Mount Hyjal in northern Kalimdor - 05.2007]

...or just to relax and enjoy beautiful green grasslands in privacy....

Forum ImageForum Image

..and before You judge me Muckle...

Forum Image

...remember that EoL is all about love:

Forum Image

- the adventurer in me
Algorath
EoL-Veteran
Chatterbox

Ye I agree wintradin is baaad! Big no no!

Initiate chatterbox

Good old times...

Swimming half day in Tanaris to get behind AQ, realizing we need slowfall. Going back to Gadgetzan and swim again. Even doing the questchain to get the elixirs.

But the sceenery there was worth the time, effort, 'exploiting'

Forum Image

Areas not even fully drawn out...

Forum ImageForum Image

And seeing Hyjal when all others had barely heard of it...

Forum ImageForum Image

Not sure if Blizzard takes this as an exploit. Couldn't care less tbh, would do it again anytime.

Mucklehugs
EoL-Veteran
Likes forums

You guys are so funny.

Okay "exploit" in it's purest definition is "make full use and derive benefit from" - which doesn't have the negative connotation I'm after. However the second definition in my dictionary is "use a (situation or person) in an unfair or selfish way" - this is what I'm after.

I think the key thing is if there's a personal gain in what you're doing. If I found an exploit which made it impossible for me to receive any loot whatsoever - would it be unethical to use it? Probably not...

Muckle
Lightmane
EoL-Veteran
Chatterbox

http://nihilum.mousesports.com/en/news/510,second_highest_2vs2_is_cheating/

Samoraz
EoL-Veteran
Forum Pet

Algorath wrote:
Ye I agree wintradin is baaad! Big no no!

you fail at being understandable man.

Chatterbox

Well, buy yourself a dictionary then mate *kiss*

Found the forum!

On that prince thing.. you can stand there in the doorway if you like but over aggro.. you get a prince in the face.. not pretty.

Also still a good chance mr malky will decide to be a royal comedian and put infernals on either side of the tank effectively inviting you to go wipe yourself to go heal your now isolated tank. so its not entirely fool proof so not really an exploit at all.

Wintrading though = gayer than 2 men rolling around together kissing and calling each other darling.

Quote:
Wintrading though = gayer than 2 men rolling around together kissing and calling each other darling.

Omg u just crack me up xD, ur a funny guy :P

Muck, want me to whip him?
wink

Mucklehugs
EoL-Veteran
Likes forums

Nethara wrote:
Muck, want me to whip him?

Be my guest - meanwhile I'll go roll around with my boyf, kiss him and call him darling.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Echoes of Lordaeron Forum Index -> Open Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum